Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Paint Choices

I know these posts aren't exactly in order but this is what I'm working on now. 

We recently and finally got the wall removed between the dining area and the living room. It was quite the ordeal. We had several bids ranging from $1600 to $5000!  We chose one guy but it took him forever to get started. He seemed hesitant to do it because it was a supporting wall and we needed a beam to hold the weight. The most complicated thing about it was there were some pipes above that needed to be moved (only a little) to make way for the beam. Our contractor ordered the beam and still kind of kept putting it off. We got the distinct feeling that he was uncomfortable with the project. Finally we told him he didn't need to do it because we knew he was very busy and had a million other projects he was working on. I'm sure he could have done the job, but he actually seemed relieved that we fired him.

Our electrician came back in to put some more can lights in the dining area and living room. When he saw the opening still wasn't done he called a buddy of his who came out and said he could do it. He got to work the next day and within a couple of days the wall was gone and the beam was up. Yay! Then the wallboard went up and now it is time to paint the areas.

I already know what tile I want to use for the floor so I got two samples. One was a brownish grey and the other was a more whitewashed grey wood look porcelain tile. The floor may be a while before it's done but I wanted to make sure the paint coordinated. 

The paint on the living room walls now is a very gross dirty mustard. The kitchen is a medium green. Now that the wall is gone the new paint is going to be one color throughout.

I learned from painting our other houses (and innumerable hours of DIY tv) that you need to take your time in picking out a paint color. The color will look different on different walls and during different times of the day. Also it will not necessarily look like the small chip once it's on the wall.

I got several sample jars and painted big squares on two opposite walls, and a section near the floor where I placed the sample tiles I had purchased.

We decided the tile on the left is too whitewashed looking (sorry Joanna Gaines). I liked the left tile because it looked more realistic to me and it had both brownish and grayish tones.  I actually thought we would go with one of the top four paints, but after putting them on the wall I knew right away they were too dark.  I went back and got four more samples the next day. Definitely better. The consensus was unanimous. We all decided to go with the second from the left on the second row. It's a Behr paint called "dove". It's not too dark, not too light, and goes well with the tile.

This is the opposite wall. You can see how the colors look different. They are in the exact same order as in the photo above.

I guess I'm going to be pretty busy this week.

No comments: