Maybe the gopher that ate our squash plants was trying to do us a favor.
Last year we bought a few different types of pumpkins to decorate the house and just for fun I saved the seeds from three of them. Not long ago I found some of those dehydrated and compressed peat pellets in the garage. I had totally forgotten that I even had those. I rehydrated them and put two seeds in each. I have from left to right: ghost pumpkin, cinderella pumpkin, and a giant pumpkin. I wasn't sure if the seeds would actually grow, but you can see they are doing just fine. When they get a little bigger I'll probably transplant them to the formerly-full-and-now-has-one-left squash pit.
Here's an avocado pit I started a while back. It was in a small jar of water on the kitchen window sill with three toothpicks holding it up. It seemed to take forever to start showing signs of life but finally it started growing. The roots started circling the bottom of the jar so I've transplanted it to this bucket that was rescued from a restaurant. I'm not sure if this ever really works but I'm giving it a try!
I've finally planted my hypertufa troughs. The first one, shown here, is a little smaller. I planted it with flat leafed parsley, cilantro, and chives.This is the second one I made and I put a few colorful flowers in it.
I haven't forgotten my promise to show you how easy it is to make one of these. That is still in the works. I wanted to make sure these two turned out first.
That's it for now!