Monday, April 20, 2009

I Love Romaine (Lettuce, That Is)


A few weeks ago we got some six packs from the gardening department at Lowe's to plant in the garden. One of the things we got was Romaine lettuce. I love Caesar Salad, so this is perfect for me.


We planted the lettuce on the side of the driveway at the end of the flowers, in an empty spot, where our strawberries used to be. Unfortunately I kind of neglected the strawberries last year and they ended up turning to toast in our hot, hot summer sun.


Right now the Romaine is thriving, and I've been making lots of Caesar salads. The Romaine is also good in a regular type salad with carrots, onions, tomatoes, etc. I've also heard that Romaine lettuce is better for you than iceberg, which I also enjoy (especially in the Chinese Chicken Salad my husband makes).

Our temperatures are hitting the 90's this week and I'm hoping the lettuce won't bolt too quickly before I have a chance to eat it all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How pathetic my little garden looks to your healthy lettuce! How is the back area doing?? We are in the 90's too, but then they say rain by Friday???
Patti
Hope this is a GREAT week for you all!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful - the flowers, the Romaine lettuce, the idea of salads, the blog.

Keep up the good work. Don't let the heat or little buggers (insects, etc) get to the lettuce before you do!

Love, M

Anonymous said...

Your lettuce is so pretty. I'm so jealous! Both of your garden and your warm weather. I have yet to plant tomatoes b/c we can't even stay in the 60's!

Enjoy a home grown salad for me!
LC