Saturday, February 20, 2010

First Doctor Appointment

Yesterday was my first doctor appointment after having lap band surgery. Everything went very well and I think he was pleased with my progress. He did make note of my lip explosion and when I told him I felt like I should be further along in my recovery, meaning I still felt kind of weak and tired, he reminded me that I had been very sick. "Went through the wringer," is how he put it. I had one surgery, then got very sick and basically for one week was subsisting on the iv fluids before I had another surgery. Yes, I went though the wringer for sure!

He was very reassuring that I was doing well. The cuts on my abdomen from the laparoscopy are healing nicely. They still have some scabs and as soon as the scabs fall off I'll be able to start taking my beloved soaking baths again!

As for food intake he said he generally leaves it up to the patient. I have been on what's called "Phase One", which is basically a liquid diet. Water and soup and protein drinks have been the basics, 2 ounces every 15 minutes. For dessert I get sugar free popsicles or sugar free jello. This has been surprisingly satisfying for the time being. What happens next is as the interior swelling goes down I will be feeling less satisfied. And actually this has been happening in the last two or so days. I've been checking the clock to see when I can have another 2 ounces of protein shake. The doctor said when that happens it is time to move to "Phase Two", mushy foods.

On Phase Two I'm allowed to have four ounces at a time. Now besides the protein drinks I'm allowed to have mushy food, which means anything with baby food consistency. It has to be blended until it's mushy and then I can eat it, four ounces at a time. This time though, I'm not allowed to drink with, 30 minutes prior, or one hour after a "meal". Also there are certain foods I'm not allowed to have, like whole milk cheese, crunchy peanut butter, anything more than 1% milk, dry cereal, bread, crackers, or gas forming veggies. And the best part, of course, is dessert, where I am allowed sugar free jello, puddings, and the popsicles.

The doctor said eventually when Phase 2 fails to keep me satisfied I'll move on to Phase 3, soft foods, which I will go into later. And when Phase 3 doesn't keep me satisfied it will be time for my first fill. That leaves me a little scared.

I am feeling better every day and I even went out in public yesterday to do a bit of grocery shopping. My mouth still looks kind of gross but at least all the big, ugly scabs have fallen off and it's now just a matter of the pink underneath fading out.

To date I have lost 24 pounds. I figure I have about 64 more pounds to go to reach my goal weight. So far so good!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for the update. It is a joy knowing that you are mending well. :) Also, you lost 24 pounds! Wow! What will happen once you reach your goal weight? I imagine you will simply be on a maintenance diet?

Just one thing, please - don't let anyone find those pounds you lost. Unless they need them, of course. LOL

Keep up the good work!

I LOVE YOU, M

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear the Dr was pleased, and that he reminded you what an ordeal you had been through!
And now pudding! And you are getting enough healthy foods and vitamins right? I hope they have you on some kind of multi vitamin too. I am so glad things are moving along nicely and your lips are on the mend too!!
Patti

tina f. said...

Yes, everyday I take a liquid multivitamin, Tums for calcium, and chewables for iron.

Anonymous said...

Great news! Congrats! And, I'm glad you're handling the small amounts of liquids.

Of course everyone recovers differently from surgery but I found the fatigue lasted for several months. The bouts tiredness got farther and farther apart, though. Just rest when you can.

Keep it the wonderful progress!
LC

~M~ said...

Way to go! I am glad that your doctor appointment has gone well. I cannot imagine trying to keep track of all those specific instructions!!

Keep up the good work and before no time you'll be in those relaxing baths again!!

~M~