Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Rabbit Snare

A few weeks ago Wil set a few snares out in hopes of catching a few rabbits. 

Look closely and you can see the string.  Remember you can click on the images to enlarge.

As you can see by the below photo, he was successful.  In fact when I came home from work that evening the two rabbits he caught were hanging on the bird feeder.

Since I have the rabbit cleaning experience I cleaned them the next day.

They aren't very big (two rabbits in the bag on the left, the two rolled up skins in the bag on the right).

Those two are the only rabbits Wil caught.  He's been checking every night but so far has been unsuccessful.  Good thing we aren't relying on his skills for our sustenance!

Eventually we hope to have enough to make some sort of rabbit meal and I would like to try tanning the hides.  I'm not sure when all that will happen because obviously we need to catch a few more of the little rascals!

Eventually... 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Practice, practice. Are any deer around?
mt

tina f. said...

We see lots of deer and rabbit tracks but not the actual animal. Although I did see a lone doe running across the yard yesterday.