Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spring Has Finally Sprung

As I was driving to work early Sunday morning I looked over at my aspen trees and saw some worm like things hanging off of them.  I didn't have time to stop and get a closer look but my initial thought was they were some sort of caterpillar creatures that were out to strip the trees of their foliage.

Okay, maybe there was no foliage just yet but it's just about to bust out.  It wouldn't do to have the leaves burst forth only to be munched upon by the insatiable worms.  So as soon as I figured Hubby was awake and I had a break between customers I surreptitiously called him to have him spray the trees.

When I got home from work I asked if the trees had been sprayed. I felt kind of foolish when I was told the things I saw hanging off the trees weren't caterpillars but catkins. Well, at least my trees are still alive.

We also have a few tiny wildflowers growing up around the property.


 The pear tree is almost blooming.

And indoors my experiment with the egg carton starts is looking like a success.  I coded the cartons.  This is corn and watermelon.

The front carton was planted about a week after the back carton but already the Swiss Chard is popping up.

I guess I better start some more seeds before it gets too late!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you just cut the seedlings into the egg 'rows' and just plant the whole thing in the dirt? That would make them spaced just perfect!! This year I am going to try to do 1 large pot of just herbs on the patio, not the garden, perhaps more sun?? We have Beefsteak tomatoes, pattypan squash, sugar peas and gourds in the garden they are about 4" tall. Fingers crossed I didn't get them started too early!
Patti