Monday, February 9, 2009

Canned

This weekend I did a bit of canning. When I've canned before I've always used either Ball or Kerr brand jars. This time I thought I'd try the Weck jars.

The Weck jars are like my aunt in Germany used to use. I sure wish she was still around so I could get her Pflaumenmuss (a dark plum jam) recipe. Anyway, these Weck jars are all glass with a large rubber band. The way they work is after you put your stuff inside you put the lid and rubber band on, then some clips to hold the lid on. Then comes the water bath. Then you wait until the next day and take the clips off. If the lid stays tight then you're good to go.

I'm not sure what my problem was but I've never had this many seal failures before. Two of my five lemon curd jars failed to seal properly and two of my nine blood orange jam jars failed. It's disappointing to say the least.

While I love the look of the Weck jars, I've decided I'll not replace them. The Kerr and Ball brands are much easier and have less failures for me.

At least the stuff inside was still good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be delighted to take your "failures" off you hands : ))
mt

Anonymous said...

YUM! I have Lemon Curd written up on my white board, I need to make it soon, cuz I NEED to eat it soon!! They are beautiful, gift worthy save these for Christmas giving! Have you tried to contact any distant cousins in Germany for the recipe?? I would love to have Nana's recipe for Hooiser Butter, a dark spicy peach jam!!
Patti

Anonymous said...

And you can, too?!!! What don't you do, superwoman! Love, M