Sunday, February 15, 2009

It's A Boy!

Francine gave birth to a very handsome ram lamb.

Last night just after 11 pm I opened the door for the dogs to go out one more time before we went to bed and I just happened to hear the familiar BAAAAAA! of a ewe in labor. I put my jacket over my pj's, slipped on my old Uggs, and grabbed a flashlight and headed for the barn.

Francine was laying in the straw. She didn't look unduly stressed. I watched her for a minute and she stopped baaaing. She appeared to be breathing a little heavier than usual so I concluded that she was in active labor.

I signaled with the flashlight to my husband, who was waiting in the house by the back door. He put his coat on and came out to help me real quickly.

Since the stall was already ready, basically all I had to do was shut the stall door and put a bucket of fresh water in one corner. I cleaned the bucket out and pulled the hose through the mud to the stall. My husband's contribution was to turn the hose on and off when I told him to. Isn't he sweet!

We both went back into the house. My husband went to read a bit in bed, and I stayed up and played on the computer. After about 10 minutes I went back out to the barn, stopping in the big garage for rubber gloves and iodine.

Sure enough, in those ten minutes Francine had pooped out her baby, a very handsome ram lamb.

The flash didn't seem to bother either of them.

I sat and watched for about an hour because I wasn't sure if she would have another. Unfortunately she didn't. The books always say the chances of a ewe twinning are greater if she was a twin herself. Francine was a twin, and her mother, Ewenice, first had a single and then has had twins ever since. I was kind of hoping for a twin, but I'll take whatever I get!
Here he is this morning. Looking good!
Since he was technically born on Valentine's Day, I think I'll name him...

Ralph! No, I'm just kidding. If I were to name him it would be the obvious: Valentine! But I'm not naming him so his official designation is 01-09 (first lamb of 2009). But we'll just call him Valentine for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful! Congratulations, what an exciting way to spend your evening!! Why don't you name him?
Hope Mother and son are doing well today!
Patti

tina f. said...

Patti! I would have thought you'd know the reason I don't like to name them. I don't want to become too attached, and if they have a name it would make it harder to put him in the freezer if that's what his destiny were to be! He is awful cute though, isn't he?☺

Anonymous said...

How about Valentino? He is adorable. I wonder if they're used to the flash now. Didn't you take photos of the last birth?

Anonymous said...

Yup, I think Francine is probably used to the midnite paparazi by now. He is quite a handsome one, isn't he?
I was hoping to see news of delivery today!
mt