Monday, September 24, 2007

Clyde Goes To Training

Saturday we brought Clyde to the hunting trainer. I was excited because this is the first hunting dog we've owned that's going to be professionally trained. I can't wait to see what he'll be able to do once he gets in the field.

The one thing I did not anticipate was how hard it was going to be to actually leave him there. I felt like a mom leaving her kid at school for the first day of Kindergarten. I felt kind of guilty. But it's all for his betterment.

Saying goodbye to Clyde.
As we were leaving another new dog came in and was put on the line next to Clyde. He was a young Labrador Retriever. Maybe he and Clyde will be kennel mates.

When we got home I'm sure the other two dogs were curious as to where Clyde was. Funny thing was, though, they didn't seem too upset. Or maybe that's not so unusual. Chester, the oldest, seemed quite happy that he's back in the top dog position and he doesn't have to worry about the youngster challenging his authority. And Gus, even though he's quite the lover, not the fighter, seemed relieved to have a little peace and quiet for a change. There's no Clyde to constantly nip at his legs, tail, or face in an effort to entice him to some rough housing.

Sheldon, the trainer, encouraged us to visit whenever we want. He even said I could take as many photos as I wanted. We'll be sure to take him up on that, even though it's a 3 1/2 hour one way drive.

Meanwhile, I bet Clyde is going to be an outstanding student.

No comments: