Friday, September 28, 2007

Quick Update

I managed to clean the garden out fairly well. The only things remaining are the grapes, obviously because they are permanent, and a few marigolds which still seem to be thriving. I got it all rototilled up to the vertical hoop thingie (for the climbing peas, beans, etc) before I ran out of gas.

I went to the Lowe's Garden Center to check if they had any winter vegetables in yet but I didn't see anything. Upon asking one of the salespeople I was informed that because the sales did not meet expectations last winter season, they were not going to be getting any winter plants in this year.

I thought I'd go to a smaller, local store, Robby's Nursery, off of Allen Rd. They had some sorry looking eggplant, some bunching onions, and Savoy Cabbage. They did have a nice selection of herbs, but that's not what I was looking for. When I asked the lady there, she said pretty much the same thing. She told me the growers last year ended up dumping a lot of their crop because of poor sales so they were not growing anything this year. She said she did order whatever she could but didn't know when anything would come in or even if, in fact, anything would be arriving at all.

We could try doing some seeds, but I really like the instant garden from the six packs. And I'm not sure how successful that would be after our fiasco with the seeds this summer. Well, at least my garden has been cleaned out.

My Roto Zip flex shaft drive nut came in the mail yesterday. YAY! Now I can continue to work on my current big project, the lizard and the patio tile. Here's a preview of the lizard.


As you can see he is only half way finished. So that is what I'm going to work on this weekend. Hopefully I'll have something good to report next week in regard to the patio (like it will be finished?).

No comments: