Monday, September 10, 2007

Pouring Cement

The work on our patio has begun. Before it was just a hodge-podge of miscellaneous sized tiles and bricks. Here it is cleared of our tables and chairs.
Then I put Wil to work removing and stacking the bricks/tiles. Of course I had to pay him.
It was inevitable that we'd come across loads of these ants underneath.
Finally everything was cleared out and just the border and dirt were left.
I removed the old borders and added a lot of sand. Then our cement guy, Kevin, came and leveled everything. There's my honey bunny supervising.
Bright and early Saturday morning the first load of cement came in. I had to move because it was splattering a lot more than I thought it would.

The cement got poured out until it looked like a great big giant diarrhea pile.


Then Kevin got in there and shoveled it all over to spread it out.

After all the cement was in (it took about one and 3/4 buggy loads) it was screeded (where a long board was dragged over the top to even everything out) and then the smoothing process began. This was done several times.

Eventually it got all smoothed out. Now it just needs to cure.

The borders were pulled out and right now it's looking pretty good. I could leave it at that if I wanted. But my grand idea was to tile the area so it looked a little prettier and more inviting. I have a few ideas.

Hopefully I'll be able to show the finished tiling job soon!

No comments: