Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Dinner Ear Muff

Have you ever been behind the scenes at a dog show and seen the long eared and silky eared dogs wearing what appeared to be a scarf or wrapping of some sort on their ears? Those covering are actually to keep the long hairs (think Borzois) and the long ears (think Bassetts) from getting dirty on the hanging parts.

We had that problem with Clyde. Everytime he'd eat the ends of his ears dangled in his food as he ate and they ended up getting caked and gooky on the tips. (Yes, "gooky" is a technical term.)

I had forgotten about all that while he was away, but of course I was reminded again of his problem when he came home. I'm sure someone must be making those things and selling them at the dog shows, but I haven't been to a dog show in over ten years. I'm not much of a seamstress but then I remembered I had an extra ball of yarn laying around.

Here's Clyde showing off his latest fashion accessory: the dinner ear muff.

It's loose enough to be comfortable.
And as you can see it does a superb job of keeping his ears out of his dinner.

See what you can do with an extra ball of yarn, a crochet hook, and a couple of hours?

PS-The pattern is available so you, too, can make a Dinner Ear Muff for your loving, long eared companion. Send $9.95 + $6.99 S&H for pattern instructions! (Just kidding.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cute