Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Couple Of Notes

I just wanted to share a couple of quick notes for the day.

First of all, I suspected the spider from yesterday was an orb weaver, but it was not any sort I'd ever seen before. The ones I've seen before have yellow bodies and what I always thought of as an African lady's head in black on the bulbous body part.

While trying to find out what kind of spider it was I came upon a website (note the irony!) of the UC Riverside Entomology Department. I clicked on one person's name and his e-mail came up so I sent him the last two pictures (the top and bottom views) and asked if he could id the spider. He promptly answered my e-mail on Monday and said, "Orbweaver, probably the genus Neoscona. Lots of species to choose from."

So there you have it. Short and sweet. And even though orbweavers are harmless to humans I still don't ever want to see it again!

Next up: I'm expecting a couple of cows any minute now. A few weeks ago I was contacted by some people that live about an hour or so away up in the mountains. They told me they had a Dexter cow and I think a half Dexter and did I know anyone with a bull? Well, YEAH! I offered my bull and now we are waiting for them to bring their cows. I don't know how calm their cows are yet so this will be a whole new experience for me.

I had been hoping I'd be able to take the bull up to them, since they have 20 acres and I have less than one. But they have rattlesnakes and no pens, so the cows are on their way here. I'll be sure to share some pictures later.

And that's all for today!

No comments: