Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Results

Yesterday was opening day of dove season which meant I had a lot of time to myself. I'm not one to fret being alone alot, in fact some times I prefer it. I find it's easier for me to get things done when I'm alone.

Yesterday was no exception. Admittedly I didn't do much in the morning but crochet a little on a baby blanket that I started last year and never got around to finishing. That will be another story for another time.

It was getting time to shear the sheep again, not really one of my favorite duties around here. But it's something that needs to be done and I wanted to do it before it starts getting too cold. Plus the weather was just perfect--about 85. Not too hot and not too cold. It's reportedly going to be about 100 by Saturday again. Otherwise I would have had to wait until next spring and then it really would be a terrible job.

Originally I tried to find the number of a professional sheep shearer who had called me once from one of my flyers. I couldn't find it so that meant I had to do it myself. I got three ewes shorn and wormed and hopefully later today I'll get to the other two. Perry, the ram, is a Dorper. Dorpers are what is called a "hair breed" and they shed their wooly hair without having to be shorn, so he is one I don't have to shear.

I decided to try a little different technique than what I had been doing and I was pleased with the results. I'll give more details tomorrow.

Meanwhile I was very happy to see the boys came back from their morning hunt with a limit each of doves. Their afternoon hunt was not quite as successful, as they only got one between them. That's okay though, the season just started.

The garbage after cleaning the dove.
The morning haul.

I'm not sure when we'll be having these, but I am looking forward to it!

No comments: