Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Asia Market



Some time last summer I promised you a little photo tour of my favorite Asian grocery store, surprisingly enough called "Asia Market". I first remember them being at the end of a smallish corner strip mall. It was a tiny placed literally crammed to the gills with all things Asian. Additionally there was a popular small take out restaurant inside that served generous portions of delicious Chinese food at more than reasonable prices.

Several years ago that corner got redeveloped and a large chain grocery store went in. Asia Market moved to some roomy new digs in the south west part of town. Today, the Asia Market is thriving and that chain grocery store had to close that location. To be fair, there's only one Asia Market and a million Vons.

Asia Market's new location is at least ten times larger than the old location. Although there is now ample room to walk freely through the aisles it is still chock full of every imaginable Asian grocery item, and most likely several you've not even heard of. It's really fun to just walk up and down the aisles looking at the brightly labeled cans, jars, and bags. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what's in the containers because the labels are in foreign languages (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) and the contents are unfamiliar looking.

Yesterday Carli was off so she and I, along with the baby, went to visit the Asia Market. I know some stores prohibit photographs and videos being taken inside their stores and it was my intention to ask before I started shooting. However, when we walked in the proprietess was busy cooking and I didn't see anyone else around at the time. Consequently the following photos were taken with the flash off. You'll also notice the camera level was at the middle of my chest, where the strap hung.


No rice shortage here. I don't know why but I brought home a 10 pound bag!

Oodles and oodles of all kinds of noodles. (You knew that was coming!)

Rows and rows of canned fish of every type (squid, sardines, tuna, cockles, etc etc!).

Look, Pepsi and... Sarsi?

The freezers were full of frozen fish of all kinds.

And other frozen stuff too.

Frozen coconut milk and frozen horseradish leaves.
Fresh veggies and eggs. Notice the quail eggs!
The baby's checking out the salmon heads.

Are you looking at ME? Are YOU looking at me? Are you LOOKING at me? (Catfish in the tank.)

In addition to the groceries there were also all types of dishes, bowls, and cookware.


I do wish I knew a little more about Asian cuisine, but for now it's just easier to order the take-out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok you need to find some good recipes! With that kind of resource you need to be cooking!! Our places here you can't go into because of the stench of fish! And pretty darn dirty!
ALSO, buy that baby a pet catfish!
Patti

Anonymous said...

I LOVE posts like this! You totally rock! Smuggling my camera into grocery stores is a pastime of mine. And when it's a store with goods from another nationality, it's especially sweet! The photo of the baby with the salmon heads has me singing "Fish heads" though. And now, I will be singing it all day long. Loved this post my friend!

The Country Experience said...

Uh-oh, you mean I needed to be smuggling my camera in all this time? I've been taking pics every time I see something that I might want to remember later, as opposed to writing it on a piece of paper I'll never find later.