Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Shooting Grapes

Last week my husband and I went out for a little drive north of town to the canals. Mainly we just wanted to get out of the house for a while. While he was looking to shoot ducks, I was looking to shoot potentially interesting photos.

This actually turned into a two day thing for us. The first day was very dark and dreary. We saw a couple of ducks but they were too wary and out of his shooting range. I only took a couple of photos that day. But the next day was a little brighter and I wanted to go back, specifically to a couple of spots.

A snipe on the canal bank.
Here's a huge mass of starlings. They remind me of the masses of locusts you read about that darken the skies.

This was a pistachio orchard. I like the light trunks and how they are so perfectly lined up.
Besides the pistachios there were almonds and lots of vineyards. This was a more established vineyard. You can see how thick the trunks are.
Here is a younger vineyard. I found the different method used for pruning and the supports for the vines interesting. These vineyards were across-canal neighbors.
I was surprised to see so many grape clusters left on the vines.

There appeared to be three different varieties of grapes in this area. There were the big, dark grapes from the above photos, the green grapes shown below, and then a smaller, dark grape in the bottom photos.

I won't deny I had a taste of each type. I don't know what they were, but all three were very good, despite it being so late on the vine.

I wonder how the owner(s) feel about gleaning?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they make the Ice Wine in your area? YUM!
Patti

The Country Experience said...

The pistachio orchard pic is great with all those trunks and the incredible orderliness in the lines.

I wonder how all the rows of grapes are picked without getting tangled up in the vines? It seems like they grow so close together...