Friday, July 3, 2009

Updates

The little chicks are doing great. Their adoptive mother is extremely protective of them and does not like me hanging around trying to get a good picture of them.
My chore for today was to fix the chicken coop so the chicks could not get out. It seems they like to stroll to the other side of the fence where Mama Chicken can't get through. Then she gets really nervous and paces up and down clucking worriedly. Fortunately the other hens don't seem interested in the babies.

Regular chicken wire is too big so I got some 1/2" hardware cloth. I got a 25' X 36" roll. I cut the roll to a 10" height and put it on the bottom of the chicken run.
I used baling twine to attach the top of the fencing to the chain link. Along the bottom I used pieces of wire twisted about every two feet. Now the chicks can't get out, but I can leave the door open in the day time so the other hens can peck around and then come in for water and to lay their eggs if they want.

Now, too, the cage is ready for the new chicks who should be arriving in about two weeks. I did manage to tell my husband about them and just got a little eye rolling and heavy sighs. And maybe and head shake or two.

The universe certainly has a strange sense of humor. I've been looking for a couple of weeks for the flat marble "gems" of the right color to finish my mosaic bowl. I went to several different stores with negative results (that's my old police speak coming through). Then I finally ordered some off the internet that may be what I'm looking for. I don't know yet because they probably won't be here until next week. Well today I was wandering around in the garage and I happened to look down at a shelf that had my friend's mosaic stuff on it. There was a box that had the lid off and the exact type of gems I needed was on the top! I could have sworn we both looked through all our boxes of stuff to try and find another bag like the first one I used. (We share all our mosaic stuff.)


I was able to finish the inside of the bowl and tomorrow I will be able to grout.
And finally here's the latest photo of my sweetie pie granddaughter!

Have a great Fourth Of July Holiday weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off Sweetie Pie is just that!! Never a bad pix!!!!!
2nd I went to Michael's today and was looking at the stones, but they had too many greens and blues I was going to ask for the sku #, I am so happy you found them, it looks amazing!
And such cute chicks!! They look mighty healthy too!
Patti
HAPPY 4th to all!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Amazing and Talented Sister!

You are incredible; your grandbaby is adorable; your husband is tolerant; your chicks are cute; your photos are funtastic; your bowl is beautiful; your fence is cool; your blog is clever; your sister is envious.

Surely you'll have a super 4th!
Happy Independence Day!
Love, M

Anonymous said...

ditto to you, too! Sadly, only two sisters got the witty and clever talents in the family. Sigh.
But I have you both, so I'm the fortunate one. :))
mt