Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Elation!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I went out to feed just about 30 minutes ago. The two remaining eggs had hatched! I first saw the hen out and sitting strangely. When I looked closer I saw a tiny chick underneath her. I hurried into the chicken pen and looked in the nest box. The other chick was in there. I scooped it up and placed it next to the hen.

I don't know how old they are but the one in the box still had damp fluff.The mother was not happy to see me. While I was fixing a little cage with food and water to put her and the chicks in she kept her eyes on me. As soon as I got her and the chicks into their "safe" cage (away from the other hens who may try to attack the babies) she got them settled underneath her wings.
If they can make it through the night and the next 24 hours I think they've got a great chance at surviving.

Now the hard part is when and how to tell my husband that earlier today I ordered 15 chicks (10 marans and 5 speckled sussex) from Cackle Hatchery!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahoo, success is yours! I rejoice with you in your elation.

Love, M

Anonymous said...

Just tell him... umm, just tell him they were dropped off by some stranger. It would be true, cause you don't know the UPS driver, right?
mt

Anonymous said...

Perfect, but maybe I see a REALLY tall
Screwdriver in his hand first!
CONGRATULATIONS, they look just like?
Very cute!! Hope all is well with them
and you/family too
Patti