Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Disappointment

Today was the day my chicken eggs were supposed to hatch. I started out with 8 fertilized marans chicken eggs. Approximately 2 weeks later there were five. Today I gently checked the eggs and three of them were sloshy. I took them to the dumpster and carefully cracked them open. Two of them were gloppy and gross. The third had a recognizable embryo in it, but it also was obviously dead and disgusting. I'm not holding much hope for the remaining two eggs.

I'm not really sure what happened. The eggs were obviously fertilized. The hen sat on them. I have to think she did what she was supposed to do. Did they just get too hot? (This week in particular we've had 100+ temps). Did the other hens jostle them around too much? I just don't know. I'm afraid I'll have to put this down as a $50 learning experience.

I still want to get some dark brown egg laying chickens. I got some birthday money and I think I'll use that to order some chicks. I'll give the remaining eggs another couple of days and if they don't hatch I'll be back on the computer checking all the hatcheries.

I guess sometimes you just have to wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will keep my fingers crossed for the last eggs!
It sounded like you had a wonderful time at the shower, that 'cake' was amazing, what a fun gift to give and to receive!!
Glad the crazy driver got you all home safely!!
Patti

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about the failed expectations. Where there's a will, there's a way. You have both. I know success will be yours. Persevere - and use that birthday money. Love, M