Tuesday, June 16, 2009

More Hart Park

The entrance to Hart Park.
When I went to Hart Park the other day I also took some pictures of some of the other things there. One of which is the old mill house.

The park has a lot of feral cats. These were just down the road from the mill house.
These were just a small few that showed themselves. They live in the old mill house.
Some well meaning people bring food to the cats here and elsewhere in town.
One of the problems with this is the trash it generates.
Personally I don't think they are really doing the cats any favors. That may sound cruel but it would be kinder, in my opinion, to leave them to their own devices, or try to trap, rehabilitate, and adopt them out. Those that are unable to be rehabilitated could perhaps be spayed/neutered and returned to the park. Our county already has an impossibly high animal euthanasia rate. I realize all this costs money, but how about using that money they spend on food. It's a difficult situation with no real easy solutions.

Then I went out to feed my leftover biscuits to the ducks and geese.
As I tossed my stale bread out to the birds I started thinking...
I was being just a little hypocritical of the cat people. The ducks and geese are crazily overpopulated too, and here I was throwing bread at them just like the cat people were feeding the cats.
Let's pretend I never said anything about the cats, okay?

On my way out of the park I saw a young coyote sitting at the edge of the road. He took off when he saw me suddenly pull over to the side of the road.

Good thing it's not a busy road during the week!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% about the cats we actually have an organization that trap and "fix" and then return to the same place, they have fundraisers... I am happy to help out with them when I can, I guess they say the feral cats can't really be housebroken. What a neat park!!
Patti

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Hart Park with us. Now, like you, we have a heart for Hart Park.

Love, M