Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chickens & Cows

I weaned the calf late last week by putting her mother in a separate pen and leaving her in the pen with her father. So far it's been relatively painless. There's been just a bit of mooing from mom two pens over but for the most part all is calm and good.

Here's father and daughter. She's growing nicely.
With one exception the chicks I got from the hatchery are doing well. About six of them developed a case of "pasty butt", where their vents (number 3 definition of the noun) get caked up for some unknown reason. I washed them carefully with warm water. Only one had a recurrence and sadly, it was just too much for the little chick. So now there are 11 cuckoo marans and five speckled sussex. Oddly enough none of the sussex chicks were affected.
Here are the two wheaton marans chicks that hatched from the eggs. Notice the feathers on their legs have started developing. This one is a little darker.
This is the lighter one.
Since I'm no expert I still can't tell if they are girls or boys. I have noticed that the darker one has more of a comb and less of a tail at this point. I don't know if that means anything. If I had to guess I'd say the lighter one is a hen and the darker one will be a rooster. We'll just have to wait and see.
This will be my last post for at least a week and a half. We are leaving on vacation tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it because first of all it's VACATION, and secondly and most important we'll be meeting up with all my husband's family and their families. Sadly, we have to leave Carli and her little family behind because she has to work.

Til then!

4 comments:

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Wheaten Marans - yes, you have a male and female. The balck is male and brown is female.

The chicks from the hatchery - did you get the vaccines? I've started getting them. Fear the pastey butt.

tina f. said...

Uh oh. No, I did not get any vaccines. I guess if it comes back (so far so good--keep your fingers crossed) I can always get something from the feed store or vet. Thanks, Joanna!

Anonymous said...

Geez sorry about the Pasty Butt epidemic, I just hope it can't spread to humans, or maybe I've already had it a time or two!!
You drive very careful too!!
See you soon!!
Patti

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, this conversation could get really bad in a hurry. Perhaps it is the influence of living with a 17 year old male teenager. 'nuff said.
mt