Carli had asked me to make mosaic letters spelling out the baby's name. She had a basic idea of the way she wanted them to look. We discussed size, colors, and fonts and I went to work.
Each block is about 8 inches. She wanted each letter to be a different color with the same color flowers in the background and the letter being the darkest shade. The fill and grout color is white on all the blocks.
Originally I was going to try and make a flower that started with the same name as the letter (ie: E = echinacea, N = nicotiana, etc), but with the tiny space per block it was too difficult to do properly with the tiles I was using. Instead I went with "fantasy" flowers. The one exception is the letter "I", which is green, so I did an oak leaf and an ivy leaf. In retrospect I should have just made green flowers. Oh well.
On the back of each block I put an alligator hanger. Then Carli said she really wanted to hang them using ribbon so I attached "D" rings in each upper corner. That way she could hang the blocks in a jumbly fashion and not worry about getting it crooked. The alligator hangers work well if you have a level line. Another idea would have been to put the letters on a narrow shelf.
I haven't been doing much of any projects lately since I've been watching the baby every day now. (I finished this project last month after most of it was done a couple months ago!) The baby is extremely active now and getting into everything so I really have to watch her.
I think by summer she'll be ready to start riding the pony, at least with a lead line to start. That will be fun. Another little girl corrupted! Hee hee!