Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's A Girl!

My husband and I took a little "get-out-of-town" overnighter trip on Friday (I'll post on that tomorrow). We almost stayed Saturday night as well but I knew Ladysmith was going to have her baby soon and that was always in the back of my mind. As it turned out I'm glad we went home when we did.

We got home around 3:30 in the afternoon and I went out to check the chickens and gather any eggs. At that point we still had three cattle: the bull, the cow, and last year's heifer calf.

Just a short couple hours later I happened to look outside and saw Ladysmith and Waneata standing towards the back of the property. However I noticed something else. There were too many legs. Ladysmith had just had her calf!

We all ran outside to take a look. I could see right away that it was a girl. She was probably only about 30 minutes old at that point because she was still soaking wet and the afterbirth wasn't out yet.
How ironic. After several years of wanting heifer calves and getting bull calves, now I am wanting bull calves and I'm getting heifers! That's okay though!



I'll take it. ☺

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! How exciting! I am guessing
all went well and you just had to watch! Hope Mother and Baby are doing well.
Patti