Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Roosters Be Gone

It' been some time since I talked about getting rid of our excess roosters. And as usual we kept putting it off and putting it off.

But recently they have started actually brutalizing the poor hens so I knew something had to be done whether I did it or somebody else did it.

I decided today was The Day.

Last night all the chickens went into their pen (they don't always) so this morning all I had to do was catch the roosters and put them in one of the dog crates to be dealt with later. Easier said than done, but I managed to get it done. They were not happy.
After working out on the treadmill this afternoon I started getting ready to dispatch the roosters and my dear sonny boy walked in. He agreed to do the dirty work.
I'll spare you the gory details and I did not take pictures of the actual act but we did have a warped giggle about the back flips and break dancing roosters.
The End.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long were you on the tredmill until he got home! I think that would have been my VERY long walk!!!
Such a cute murderer!! :0) Hope the hens appreciate both of you!!
Patti

~M~ said...

What a funny post! Are you planning on eating the roosters too? I bet those hens are going to be so much happier now that they are not getting terrorized all day long.

:o)

~M~

tina f. said...

We tried eating one and it wasn't real great. I think they should have been butchered when they were younger but we waited too long and it was a little on the tough and gamey side.