Monday, May 14, 2007

A Little Bit of Bragging

Mother's Day bouquet
As everyone knows, yesterday was Mother's Day. The most I was expecting was a nice dinner cooked for me by my husband with our son, daughter, and her fiance over to help enjoy it.

I was out milking Jamie in the morning when Carli came over. When I came back in the house there was a ginormous (gigantic-enormous) bouquet of beautiful flowers. I must admit my eyes watered a bit at that. Marcus, the future son-in-law, wasn't there yet. He was shopping at the mall, which was no surprise to me, since I know he enjoys shopping as much as Carli.

My husband was doing yard work. Carli went out to talk to him for a minute, then came back in walking with a giant cane. Of course I realized immediately that it was a shepherd's crook. It was from my husband. When he came in I asked him when and where he had bought it. He said he got it on Thursday from the feed store we usually go to. The kid behind the counter told him "You know, I've been working here for a long while and this is the first time I've ever sold one of these!"

The funny thing was earlier in the week we had been watching tv with all the pre-Mother's Day advertising. He asked me how I thought the gift giving was supposed to go. I explained my thoughts. If the kids were too young to give Mom a card or something, then it was up to Dad to give the gift in their stead. In the case of older kids, it was up to them to give to Mom. He, my husband, should at least call his own mother. He should not feel obligated to give me, his wife, anything since our kids were older and I was obviously not his mom.

Old "crook" on the left (netless kid's butterfly net taped to a long stick); new crook on the right.

I guess this means in spite of his complaining about the noisy sheep and the threats to get rid of them he doesn't really mean it.

Then a little while later Marcus came in and gave me a Fox t-shirt and a Hurley t-shirt. Man, this was almost like Christmas!

My special Mom's Day dinner consisted of rack of lamb (from Australia, not our own), Caesar salad, and rice pilaf. Desert was a lemon sponge cake. No Nutrisystem last night. After dinner I was treated to a pedicure while we watched the final episode of "Survivor: Fiji".

Mother's Day aftermath
Today all was back to normal with Wil off to school, feeding the animals, the magic never-ending laundry basket, and cleaning up the aftermath of last night.

It was so worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the stick with the cookie cutter on the end of it?

tina f. said...

I think you are talking about the "old crook". It's a kid's butterfly net, sans net, taped to a stick. That's what I had been using in lieu of a real crook!