Thursday, May 3, 2007

31 Again?


Oh, the oft maligned mother-in-law. Unkind and often cruel jokes are made. Horror stories are recounted and people shudder. Rarely does one hear about a good mother-in-law. I'm here today to tell you just a bit about my mother-in-law.

I was a little nervous when we first met because I had no idea of what to expect. I was barely 20 and still living at home. I had no experience with mother-in-laws. This was the first time we had met because I was living in Bakersfield and his family was from the San Francisco Bay Area.

I remember being relieved. Although my future husband had told me many stories of growing up it's still different when you actually meet face to face for the first time. His entire family was there, mother, father, sisters and their husbands. They all welcomed me with open arms and warm hearts. I immediately felt comfortable in their home.

I like to think my own parents were good in-laws. When we had family gatherings we always had good food, good wine, a board game or cards, and an easy, relaxed atmosphere. It was the same with my husband's family. Only I would say they cranked it up just a notch.

I've heard other people lamenting get togethers with their in laws. I never do. I always look forward to them and I'm sorry we don't all live a little closer. I am very much looking forward to our gathering up north at the end of this month.

Meanwhile, thanks for raising the wonderful man I'm married to. Thanks for being the best mother-in-law anyone could ever ask for.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, how nice of you to write and give such compliments to your mom in law. I'm sure you and your hubby will carry on the tradition - its in the genes.

KariAnn said...

You are definitely right about the family "stepping it up a notch"! That is so sweet and so true, the end of the month is going to be great!!!