Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Making A Fancy Pumpkin


Last week I was at the salon getting my nails done. One of the tables had a beautifully decorated pumpkin on it. Since I had a few uncarved pumpkins at home I thought I would try to duplicate the look since it didn't seem like it would be too difficult to do.

I went to Michael's and got some glitter and fancy ribbon. I already had the tape and spray adhesive at home. First I ran the tape around the pumpkin in six strips. You can use thinner tape if you want a smaller "stripe" or larger glitter area.
Then I sprayed the pumpkin with the spray adhesive and liberally sprinkled the glitter over the pumpkin. I found this worked easier when I put the pumpkin in a large box. Otherwise the newspaper started sticking to the pumpkin as I turned it to sprinkle the glitter. (Notice the sparkliness on the wall behind the pumpkin--I like sparkly things!)
Then I removed the tape and attempted to tie the fancy ribbon into a bow-like shape. I kind of succeeded.
The first one didn't turn out too badly so I thought I'd try again with another pumpkin. I did the same thing with the tape.
But this time instead of using the spray adhesive I thought I'd try good old Elmer's white glue. I used a small mashed up piece of newspaper to spread the glue. It probably would have been easier with a small paint brush but the baby was sleeping in the room where I have my small paint brush!
Then I applied the glitter and looked on-line for how to make a proper bow. Unfortunately I ran out of the ribbon I wanted to use but it turned out okay anyway.
These might be just a little messy to make but they were really easy and don't look half bad. Well, maybe just half bad, but the other half looks fine. They make a great holiday decoration or table centerpiece.

I guess you can't exactly call me Martha Stewart, but I think I did okay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Martha Stewart I think! AND when you make new decorations you could donate these beauty's to the seniors place! And the bows were perfect , loved the seconds curling ribbon!
Patti