Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Thanks I Get

Hoffman Hospice, the organization I volunteer for with Gus, has a Children's Grief Therapy Group every Thursday evening. Gus and I go to those meetings about once a month or so, rotating our visits with the other Therapy Dogs.

Usually I sit and watch the kids while they do their activities with the counselor and Gus does his thing. Prior to starting the meeting he may run around the room with the more active kids, chasing them or being chased. Later he will lay quietly and let the kids love on him when they finish their projects. Once I saw a younger child carefully examining Gus's mouth, touching his lips and teeth. Gus was ever so patient and endured it all.

I sometimes wondered if it was worth the trouble to give Gus a bath and make the trips to sit in the room for the while. I recently received these two notes from a couple of the kids. (I blurred their names out. HEPA laws and all... Click on the first picture to enlarge--I don't know why the second picture isn't enlarging.)





I'd say it is.

Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how sweet is that!! You need to take one of your pictures of the tough Gus and make a little frame for it and give it to that very special child!! Bad things should NEVER happen to children, and what a special service you BOTH do to them, THANK YOU!!!! Patti

Anonymous said...

Time is the most valuable asset we have. The time you and Gus spend with the kids obviously makes a huge impression and makes it all worthwhile.
Happy Thanksgiving!
mt

Anonymous said...

I'd say it is, too! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Love You, M

Robbyn said...

Oh man, that note says it all! How neat to get to see that...most times we just have to wonder and go on faith or instinct. You're both making a real difference! Happy Thanksgiving, Tina...I'm so thankful for you :)

Anonymous said...

You two are doing wonderful things!