Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Countdown


In some ways I love this time of year and in others I really don't. Really, the main reason I don't is for the commercialization. Our daily newspaper, which is usually pretty thin to begin with, swells to three times its normal size. Nothing but ads.

I can't help but find it disturbing that Christmas advertising in stores began back towards the end of September. It still wasn't full blown then, but, come on, really now!

Anyway, enough of my ranting for today.

Since today is the first day of December I made our Christmas countdown chain. This started when the kids were in elementary school. We made a paper chain that had 25 links on it. You know the drill. Each day you rip off a link and we are that much closer to Christmas.

This year I did something just a little bit different from prior years. I opened Word and printed the dates. That's because before we never knew if someone else already ripped the link off and we'd end up counting the links again every day. This way I know if the link has been ripped off. And I made the final link, Christmas Day, all fancy with the leftover glitter from the pumpkins.

I know it sounds kind of dumb when one kid is out of the house and the other is 18 years old. But we do have the baby spending most days here now. Besides, it has become one of my holiday traditions.

And it's even fun for big kids like me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love anything with tradition and wonderful memories attached! Maybe not as loving and homey as my mini bottles of booze necklaces when the kids turn 21 but close!!
:0)
Patti

Anonymous said...

I read, with interest, of your tradition. It's fun to create memories for the young'uns. Remember Adventskalenders? That and lighting the Advent candles leading up to Christmas are my favorite memories of Christmas countdown.

Remember Stollen? (Yum)

Love, M