Friday, December 19, 2008

Flying Saucers (Cookies)

This is a recipe I got from our local newspaper many, many years ago. These are giant oatmeal raisin cookies. I usually add a few pecans too, just because I like nuts.

The ingredients are: 1/2 C shortening; 1 C sugar; 1 egg, slightly beaten; 1/4 C honey; 1/4 C milk; 1/4 C raisins; 1 1/2 C old fashioned oats; 1 3/4 C all-purpose flour; 3/4 t baking soda; 1/2 t allspice; 1/2 t cinnamon; 1/2 t salt.

First off you'll need to preheat the oven to 300°. Then cream together the shortening and sugar.

Add the egg, honey and milk.

Continue creaming until light and fluffy. Soak raisins in hot water for a few minute; drain well. The recipe calls for 1/4 C raisins but I always double that. (1/4 C is only about 10 raisins, for crying out loud!)

Combine with oats (the recipe calls for old fashioned oats, but I just use quick oats)...

...and add to creamed mixture.

Sift flour with remaining dry ingredients...

...and add to shortening-oatmeal mixture.

This is where I add chopped pecans, at least 1/2 C, and mix well.

Lightly grease cookie sheet or spray with Pam. Place 1/4 C dough on the sheet, flattening slightly.

Bake on third shelf in 300° oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly on the pan, then loosen carefully with a spatula or using a twisting motion to remove from pan.

Enjoy with a big glass of milk!
Here's the original recipe I clipped out of the paper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh do those look yummy!! I bought my "stuff" to make the cinnamon rolls this weekend!! I was also bragging about Gus/antlers today at school. AND love your ?wallpaper? on the sides of your blog!!!
Patti

Anonymous said...

Sonny boy looks about 10 feet tall in that picture. I thought, "wow...that is a tall glass of milk" a n y w a y...I agree...the wall paper is very cute.