Thursday, August 13, 2009

Vacation 2009, Edison Ice Cave

At the house we rented for the week (which was very nice, btw) we had an almost daily visitor.
It seemed she was fairly used to people so I think she may have been getting handouts from several people in the neighborhood. I'm not a fan of feeding the wildlife, but I let Wil give her an english muffin once. Just once! She would come around and if nobody came out to feed her she would meander on to the next location. Other times we saw her browsing in the areas between the homes.

A long, long, long time ago, when we first started visiting the central Oregon area, say about 20 years ago, or maybe more because I don't remember having any kids around, we once went to a little hole in the ground they called "the Ice Cave".

As I recall it was a small hole in a little depression in the woods off a dirt trail off a dirt road. It was about 15 feet wide and maybe 4 feet tall at the entrance and went about 15 feet deep. It was probably 85° outside and there were actually ice crystals inside the cave.

I decided one day on our recent vacation that I wanted to visit the cave again and take some pictures. We dug out the 30 year old Deschutes County Forestry map and set out to find it. Click on the map picture and you can see where it says "Edison Ice Cave" in the middle.
We found an area that may have been near and we walked and walked. Then we walked back and took another trail and just walked a little ways. I got my exercise for the day. Unfortunately we were unable to locate the ice cave. Over the years some of the streets have been paved, the trails had changed, trees grew and fell and we just couldn't find it.

We even went so far as to buy a new Forestry map which had totally different trails than the old map and the Edison Ice Cave wasn't even on the new map! Later, once we got home and did a little research on the internet we found a couple of sites that mentioned GPS locations. Next time we go back we'll bring our GPS and try again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Ice Caves thawed!!! :0)
One english muffin! I'll bet the animal
people are glad none came my way, I
would have them eating bean dip in
no time!!
Patti