Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumnal Equinox Ride

Today is the Autumnal Equinox. That means that today we have equal amounts of lightness and darkness.

To celebrate I went for a ride on Star around noon. I don't really need an excuse to ride because I celebrate any time I go riding! I brought my little camera along to show you some of my favorite things when I ride.

One of the things I enjoy about riding during the week in the middle of the day is that I'm usually out by myself. That means I can do any wacky thing I choose. The weekends bring out all the other riders so I have to be on my best behavior.

Don't get me wrong though! I love riding with my sister too. We always have a lot of fun when we ride together.

Here are a couple of ducks in the river.
A heron. Sometimes I'll see the equally elegant white egrets, but not today.

One of the winding paths along the river in the overgrown trees. It's about 5-10 degrees cooler in here.
Now comes my favorite part on the other side of the river.


It seems that some time ago there must have been an event rider in the area. They went to a lot of effort to construct some cross country jumps. Some of those jumps are still standing. This is some sort of L complex. If whoever built it was jumping it as built then they were definately upper level riders.


To make this more novice friendly *someone* rearranged a few logs here and there.
And *someone* added a few jumps by dragging fallen logs and branches out.
The "L" is behind the big bushy tree on the right.
In the background of this picture you can see a small bank built by the unknown eventer with a small log recently dragged out in the foreground.
Now check out this image from Google Earth. It was from July 2003 so we know the jumps were there at least that long.
Here is that bank jump today.
Here are a pile of logs and boards that look like they may have been a jump of some sort at one time.And the final jump is this natural fallen log. You can plainly see that my sister and I are not the only ones who jump every little stick in our path. One of several river crossing spots. The water is rather low today. It would be interesting to know who built the little course out there and when. Today that property is part of the Panorama Preserve. You can read a little about it here and here.

I, for one, am very glad it's there!

3 comments:

~M~ said...

What a neat post. My favorite picture was the last one with Star's ears sticking up in it.

Isn't it fun to wonder about who that person might have been? How long ago it was that they were building and jumping out there? So many questions can wonder through the mind....When I come across an old log cabin while hunting with my husband, I always think about who built it and what their life may have been like.

Great post!

~M~

Roberta said...

I think Lori Van Sickel had something to do with it back when eventing was pretty popular. We had some here, too, and had our own little course. Brian Sabo came and did quite a few clinics.

Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

And I understand that "someone" had to call their MD to get some motrin for a very sore back.
mt