Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Star Is Moved

Yesterday I moved my new horse, Star, to a new location. This was after some thought and the invitation from my sister.

She had two horses, Lincoln, and his mother Nikki (I'm not sure how she spells it). My sister kept her horses boarded at the Robertson's facility which is on the east side of town and borders the Kern River. It is owned by Billy and Roberta, and Roberta is one of the bloggers I read on a daily basis. She has the "Life At A Boarding Stable" blog.

A few weeks ago Lincoln got sick and at first they thought he had caught a flu that was going around. After three days came and went and he had not shown any signs of improvement they thought maybe he had contracted valley fever. After being very stiff, sore, and tender all over he was still not getting any better when he started limping. Then it was discovered that he had foundered badly, most likely as a result of being so ill. The prognosis was not good and she had the vet euthanize Lincoln last week.

My sister wanted to keep the large pen Nikki was in and invited me to share it with her. It's only a twenty minute drive from my house, it has a private tack room where we can put our saddles, bridles, brushes and miscellaneous equipment, and it has easy, immediate access to miles and miles of trails. If I want to ride out from my house I have to first traverse city streets to get to any trails. I figured it was a great deal easier than hitching the trailer, loading the trailer with my tack, loading the horse, and driving to meet my sister for a ride. I accepted her offer.

To the right of this picture is our tack room. Behind that haystack is the pen for our horses.
Here's Star and Nikki sharing a little dinner. Don't worry. That's not a heavy blanket on Star. She is wearing the fly mask and fly sheet that she came with. You can see how large the pen is, much larger than anything I have at my house.
Here is their pen from the opposite side. It was getting dark and I shot this through the window, which is why it's a little on the not-so-focused side.
Now it should be an easy thing for me to hop in my little car and drive to the stables for a ride, whether I meet up with my sister on the weekend or just go myself during the week.

My only wish is that it would have happened under happier circumstances.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that Star and Nikki have each other, and
sorry about poor Lincoln. It looks like a really nice place, they can both really move around.
Patti

Anonymous said...

How did Nikki and Star get along? It looks like they do from the photos you posted. mt

tina f. said...

I think it took a minute of adjustment for them but they seemed totally okay when I left. I think they'll be just fine.

Anonymous said...

How very gracious of mt to invite you to share the lovely boarding facilities with her. I am so sorry to learn about Lincoln. I was particularly attached to him because mt had sent a photo via email long ago, when email first came into vogue, after she had newly acquired him. I thought Lincoln to be exceptionally beautiful; much like I find Star today. Thank you for sharing, T! Love, M