Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ya Think?

In the October/November 2009 edition of Fine Cooking magazine there is an article by Ellie Krieger, a registered dietician. In the article she makes the statement, "There is serious research showing that if you eat a bowl of vegetable soup before a meal, you eat less overall and you feel just as satisfied."

Really?

I'm going to go out on a limb and make an equally astonishing statement. I think if you eat a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs before a meal, you will eat less overall and feel just as satisfied.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get your point (and it's funny); however, research has shown that the dietician is correct. Not only do folks eat less, their caloric intake is less and their systems are healthier overall. Spaghetti and meatballs...well, you know. Obesity contributes to so many diseases, that a healthier life-style that includes weight managemnt via veggie soup bowl consumption is not a bad idea.

Personally, I would rather consume chocolate cake prior to a meal. ; )

Love, M

~M~ said...

You crack me up!

I really think that that "quote" could have been explained in a better way then the way they let it come across, that may be why it sounds so silly. I don't know though.

I get your point. Your eating something "before", but isn't it really just replacing what you would have normally eaten "during" the main meal? It's better for you though, vegetable soup compared to snacks.

Thanks for the chuckle!

~M~

Anonymous said...

Then a bowl of cheesecake?!?!?!!!!
Although I was just on a site to lower my cholesterol!
I went off meds for 5 weeks, and ouch, everything UP!l
So laugh if you will but at this point, I will try the bowl of stupid soup if it will stupid work!!!
:0)
Patti

Anonymous said...

I think your readers are on a roll, here. My personal favorite? A mile high sundae before dinner MIGHT slow me down somewhat = )
mt