Monday, August 13, 2007

The Difference A Lens Makes

I'm wondering if I should add a new post label. Like "photography". But that seems like I know what I'm talking about when in fact I really haven't a clue. I guess I could call it "bugs" or "bug closeups", or I could just leave these particular posts unlabeled. You tell me.

Anyway, I was checking out the difference in how close the lenses could actually get. There is my normal 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, and then my new macro lens, the 60mm f2.8. Like I said, I have no idea what any of that means, so don't ask. That's just what they are labeled.

So here are a few examples. The first couple are a worm in a mimosa seed. These are using the normal lens as close as I could get and still be able to focus. Then the picture is trimmed to as big as it would fit.


Now comes the macro lens, first as close as I can get. Notice I made a shadow. Ooops!


And then it is trimmed. Quite a difference!


The hard part is finding a subject that will hold still long enough for me to focus. With the macro lens it really shows up when you aren't focused on the right area. For example this spider.


Notice her legs are really sharp but the body is a little blurry. And finally after about 15 shots, we get it right.


And here's another thing that puzzles me. This is the same spider, the same evening, seconds apart actually. Why did the background turn out so differently in these shots?


Here's another example but this time the foreground is different. These were also taken one right after the other. I'm not complaining though. Both shots turned out kind of neat. I just wish I knew how to make it happen on purpose!


And now I have a confession to make. Most of the spider shots were taken by my son. We had to actually get really close (less than 12 inches) to take these pictures and I was getting totally creeped out because the spider kept zipping back and forth on her web. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate spiders?

So as not to end this on a creepy spider note, here is a really pretty Western Tiger Swallowtail butterfly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Whether you or your son takes the photo, the impact is WOW!

Anonymous said...

I happen to love the closeups you post, especially the butterfly. The Western Zebra Swallowtail is the only butterfly I can name!

Anonymous said...

OK, so I cann't really name any butterfly! Tiger/Zebra...they're both striped.