Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Life And Death

I was witness to a life and death struggle yesterday afternoon. And it wasn't on the television, it was occurring right in my driveway! I watched, mesmerized, as the combatants rolled around in their private war, each trying to get in the death blow. Then I snapped out of it and thought "Blog Material!!!" I ran inside to get my camera, even taking the time to change lenses to the macro. After all, it looked like they were going to be there for a while.

A few neighbors drove by and I can only imagine what they might have been thinking as I lay prone on the driveway with my camera, twisting this way and that.

The fight was intense and fierce. It was a little scary for me to be so close to them. I was a little nervous that the warriers would turn their aggression towards me.

They were two wasps and a green caterpillar. The caterpillar didn't stand a chance. I'm not even sure it was still alive at that point. The more they all tumbled and rolled, the more confused I became. Were the wasps acting in unison against the caterpillar? Were they in reality fighting each other over the juicy tidbit? It was really hard to tell.



Finally I'd had enough of the senseless violence. So, I'm afraid to say, I contributed to the melee.

THE END

No comments: