Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hawk In The House

A few weeks ago a neighbor a couple of houses over was looking for a new rooster they had rescued from a friend who could no longer keep him. We did not see the rooster but we had seen a hawk flying around the neighborhood. I'd also noticed a few separate piles of feathers out in the pond area, possibly from the hawk feeding on sparrows and doves. We never did find the rooster.

Usually the hawk isn't very visible. We'll hear a cry and he can be seen soaring way up in the sky or sometimes we'll just be able to locate a general area where he might be in a big tree top.

Yesterday we heard a commotion in the garage. When we opened the door we found the hawk flying against one of the windows. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to get a really close picture of him but I was able to snap this just as he flew out the garage door.


The cat's food is in the garage and when I'm home I leave the garage door open. So we end up feeding all the neighborhood cats and the sparrows that are bold enough to come in. We figure the hawk must have followed a sparrow into the garage and momentarily lost his bearings.


------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile the sheep and cow are making me twiddle my thumbs impatiently. They are still holding out on me.

And that's all the news for today!

No comments: