Monday, March 2, 2009

The Latest

One of the things we decided to do this year was to add some fruit trees to our yard. Originally I had been thinking of planting some more pine type trees near the lone redwood tree in the middle of the yard. We already have a few that need to be transplanted. One is a potted Christmas tree from last year, one is a volunteer next to the drive way and the other is a former potted Christmas tree from several years ago that is quickly outgrowing its current pot.

My husband and I got to talking about the trees and I remember asking if he would rather have fruit trees (loosely based on the national economic situation--we could start growing our own fruit). He said he'd rather have fruit trees than the mini forest that I envisioned.

I thought we could still have both and we discussed where we would plant them. I thought they could go in the pond area because of the large availability of space. He reminded me that it isn't really our property there and the pond people could fence us totally out at any given time. Then we would be out of luck for our fruit trees.

So we came up with a plan to plant them next to the fence in our second back area, aka "the pasture" (which really isn't, it just sounds nice when you talk to people). That way it would also be easier to fence off to protect the trees from the animals when we let them out of their pens.

One of my sisters knew about our space constraints and suggested the method of planting more than one tree in each hole. I looked it up on-line and found this video. While we didn't use this method we did plant fairly close. Each tree is six feet apart and six feet from the fence. I figured I can use one older fence panel I have and buy just three more cattle panels and I'll be able to fence the trees off from the animals without having it look too "Okiefied", something my husband detests.

Since we were so late getting our bareroot trees I didn't get all the choices I had wanted. In fact I only got six trees instead of the eight I originally researched. We got: a Bing cherry; a black Tartarian cherry; a Gala apple; a Fuji apple; a Royal apricot; and by mistake a "Fruit Salad" 3 in 1 with a Fantasia nectarine, Mid-Pride Peach, and Double Delight nectarine. We are no experts by any means, but maybe with the help of my sister, who has a great green thumb, and the internet, we're hoping our trees will be fruitful!

And my little trees that need repotting? They will be planted outside in the pond area and if we end up losing them my feelings won't be hurt in the slightest.

And now on to the sheep.

Neither Jamie or 3of4 have had their babies yet. Jamie's due date was February 28 and 3of4's is March 5th. They both look about the same with Jamie actually looking a little wider.I don't know when Ewenice is due but from the looks of her she is about on par with her flockmates.

Meanwhile Ralph, or Valentine, or Valentino is waiting impatiently for some playmates.


No comments: