Monday, March 2, 2009

A Quick Note On The Tooth

I just realized I forgot to let you know how the tooth thing went.

The appointment for the extraction was for noon last Thursday. I didn't wait long at all before they took me to the back and the dentist came in and got to work. The thing I really appreciated was he let me know all along what he was doing. He spoke in a calm voice and let me know what to expect just before he did it.

First the old crown was removed. Then I felt a little pulling, pushing, and tugging and before you know it the tooth was out and I was biting down on a big wad of gauze. By 12:40 it was over.

Now it was time to go across the hall to the oral surgeon.

My appointment for him was not until 1:30 but they had told me if I got done sooner to just come over.

I did have to wait a bit. I think maybe the doctor was out to lunch. But I was in the chair by 1:10 and the doctor got to work. I think the regular dentist and the oral surgeon thought I would have enough numbing stuff but I could tell at one point it was beginning to wear off.

The surgeon asked if I was ok and he informed me he was almost done. I figured I could handle it and he continued. Now this process was very strange. The main thing was all the scraping on my upper jaw bone (maxilla). It was almost a "hurts so good" thing for me. I know that sounds strange but I really can't explain it any other way.

Anyway, finally the scraping was done and he started packing the hole with what I assume is the bone graft material. A couple of stitches (which I felt when he poked the needle into the roof of my mouth) and another wad of gauze and I was finished.

I stopped at the pharmacy on my way home to pick up my prescribed antibiotics and pain pills. Before I got in line I took out the ice pack they gave me and made a pitiful face. The lady behind the counter leaned over and whispered that she'd move my prescription to the front and just don't tell anyone! As it was, I did have to wait about thirty minutes but that was better than the 60 to 90 minute wait they had been telling other people.

I return to the oral surgeon this Thursday to make sure everything is healing according to plan. The stitches already fell out on their own and it does look and feel fine now. I did have some pain that day, but the pills and the nice ice pack made it more tolerable. Friday morning I woke up with a bit of a headache and some slight soreness but that was it. In fact I'm not even taking the pain pills anymore. I guess I can save those for when I really need them!

After my check up on Thursday I have to wait for three months when the post will be inserted. Oh joy. I can hardly wait. Right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off is Ralph too cute or what!!! And he will live happily ever after!
So glad your tooth went as well as it did, next appt. go early and get the drugs first! 60-90 minutes?!
I would love to have 1/8 of your space, all we can do is lemons, and dwarf at that, yum cherries!!!
Patti

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tooth update. The description turned my stomach a little but glad you are doing well.

I wish we could have just ONE fruit tree. Whah!

Valentino will have some playmates soon, it looks like.

LC