Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It's THAT Time Of Year

Yes, it is THAT time of year again. I'm talking about tax time. I know some people have already done theirs and don't have to worry about it anymore. For me it is a stressful thing to do, particularly in the last couple of years where we have had to pay. It just doesn't seem fair to me that over a third of our income is taken out in taxes and then we possibly have to pay even more. (It's been over $1,000 each time.) And each year we adjust the amount taken out in an attempt to not have to pay more.

For that reason I've been putting it off and putting it off. I used to get our tax info ready for the tax preparer as soon as our W-2's came in, usually the beginning of February. But every year I put it off until later and later, and now I have less than a month before paperwork is due.

Before I can get all my info together I have to put all the old bills away in their files. I know I should put the paid bill in its file as soon as I mark it paid, but what happens is I throw those into a box or two. Then at the end (or beginning) of the year I have to sort through all those bills and then file them away. The picture above shows me in the middle of this process. When I'm done with this then I can compile all the info I need for the tax man. I should finish in another day or two...

I hope you are having a happy St. Patrick's Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You pay?? I guess we don't make enough money, plus we have lots of medical / pills... and the charity donations, I really scrape and make sure its all listed, I am just hoping you have a good 'tax person'?? I sure
hope it is good news for you this year!!
Patti

tina f. said...

Normally we don't have to pay, but for last year and the year before we did have to. I think because of retirement + current job? I don't know... But our tax guy said what really saved us last year from paying even more was the write offs of the "farm". I get sick to my stomach every year from the anticipation and worry.