Friday, June 4, 2010

San Simeon Creek Trail

I spent Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with my friend Vicki at her little house in Cambria. One of the things I wanted to do was walk on the really nice trails that are in the area. We didn't get out on Tuesday because we ended up meeting with another friend and going to a wine tasting in downtown Cambria. Needless to say I ended up buying some delicious wine, but that's another story.

Wednesday we all met up again and headed for the San Simeon Creek Trail at the Washburn Campground. I had been on part of this trail before but never went all the way around. I was ready for a good walk. The other two are into bird watching so we came armed with cameras and binoculars.

As always there were lots of lizards.
The trail is very diverse. There are marshes (with boardwalks), dense and not so dense forests, and hilly pastures.


This rattlesnake grass, aka quaking grass, was everywhere. I know it's used as an ornamental grass in many gardens.


We even saw a deer and I was lucky enough to be able to grab a photo of it.





One of the strangest things was this "spittle" on some of the bushes.
I've heard of spittlebugs but I've never seen this before. Even though it's not really spit (at least it's not human spit) it's still kinda gross!
All in all it was a pretty good walk, even though in my opinion we had to stop way too often so the bird watchers could listen and attempt to locate and identify their bird friends. But that's okay.

The next day (Thursday) we had another walk planned at another location. More on that later!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures as always, what a great place for a walk, just getting aways makes such a new person out of me! I have seen the 'spit' too, I always wondered what the heck it was! Hope all is great at home!
Patti