Thursday, October 1, 2009

Horse Injuries

My trip to Cambria was a bit fortuitous. The weather is perfect right now and both my horse and my sister's horse have little injuries. Nikki's injury is worse than Star's because I can still ride her, but Nikki can't be ridden at this time.

It all started about a week or so ago with Nikki. It was during the time when Star and Nikki were still getting to know each other and truthfully, we don't even know for sure if Star is to blame (but I suspect she is). Nikki has a good cut on her back leg that left her swollen and sore and initially she could barely walk.
I am happy to say that after tender loving care from both my sister and the very generous stable owners who helped with the daily care of this wound Nikki is most definately getting better.

Not long after Nikki was first injured I noticed a small bump on Star's back. We thought maybe it was Nikkie biting back, or a bug bite, or a scrape from one of the trees.
She was a little tender to the touch but it seemed far back enough that I could still ride her. The problem was that it wasn't getting better.
So I had to call the vet. He thought it looked like a pressure bump, probably from my western saddle. He said if I rode it should be with my English saddle. I had been waiting for a new girth to arrive anyway.

So hopefully with my not riding her for a few days the bump will go away and everything will back to normal when I get back in a few days.

2 comments:

tundra said...

Did you ever find out what this was? I'm having a similar problem with my Arab.

tina f. said...

I believe it was from the saddle not fitting properly. I started using a different saddle and it didn't come back.