Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Stressing

It's getting terribly close to tax time and we haven't done anything about it yet. Oregon state taxes are ridiculous and I have been stressing about it more and more as we get closer to filing time.

Yesterday I went on Turbo Tax and plugged some numbers in to get an idea. The initial numbers were extremely alarming until I realized I hadn't put any of our "good" numbers in. After putting in our costs for mortgage and medical the numbers were much better. Still not what I wanted to see, but I was able to get what we had to pay for both State and Federal reduced by about 2/3.

Today we made an appointment with a tax place in Bend. Hopefully they will be able to help reduce what we have to pay by even more, maybe even get us a refund! (Fingers XXX!!)

I spent the day today finishing the office space. Most of which meant filing papers away, getting rid of old files from our rental in Roseburg, files from our remodel of our Bakersfield house, and making new files for our new stuff from here (tv service, electric, tractor, etc).

When that was done I got the info I would need for our appointment tomorrow. I spent quite a bit of time going through all the medical records and figuring out all our copays and mileage spent going to Springfield for Hubby's cancer appointments. I hate to say it but all his medical bills from last year could actually be a tax help for us.

Meanwhile I hadn't planned on using a farm write off for last year but it sure looks like it would be a help to do so. Although in one sense I wasn't really "farming" I was still paying for hay for my bull and I did sell three cows. It's always been my intention to start up again once we got settled in Oregon anyway...

I hate this time of year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those saddle racks turned out wonderful! How about if you bend some metal, heat it up and brand them with designs and then stain them?? If they turn out nice, and so cheap to make, put a couple down at the feed store $$$$$$
I sure hope your appointment goes well tomorrow! I am staring at our pile right now, all together, just no huge urge to get it done, yet!
GOOD LUCK!!
Patti

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to tax time blues. We have not made our appointment, either.
mt