Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pots

The main thing I did today was pot the few veggies we got. We did have to go back into Bend and Redmond for a few things first though. And as we were heading back to Prineville we stopped at the Kubota dealership to ask a question. More on that exciting news later!

So I planted three kinds of tomatoes: purple Cherokee, Husky Cherry Red, and German Queen. I had tried the German Queen in Bakersfield and it didn't do too well for me there. I'm going to give it a try here and hope it does better. I got one Ozark Beauty Strawberry, a couple Sweet Basils, a German Thyme (smells so good!), and a couple of Rosemary plants. In the black pot beyond the bench I planted one each Pontiac Red and Yukon Gold potatoes. The remaining 7 spuds I planted between the arborvitaes. If the potted potatoes do well I may do all container potatoes next time.
I got another flat (8 pots) of English lavender to add to the other flat I got the other day. After all you can never have too much lavender! I put the bench there to hopefully deter any deer munchings. While my sister-in-law has deer that come up to her front steps I think the deer around here are a little more cautious of humans. At least I hope so.

Tomorrow will be exciting. Now that the weather seems to be doing better (we saw the road guys sweeping the sand/rock off the roads, a good sign they aren't expecting any more freezing soon) and I have just enough extra money to pay for it, Ollie has an appointment to get shaved. Kneadermeier needs it too but she's not quite as bad as Ollie. She can wait until next pay day.

Tomorrow we are expecting a delivery of a brush hog mower. The Kubota guy said we could use it and try it out and if we like it we can buy it for a little less than half the new price. It is used but supposedly in good condition. It will be interesting to see what we can do with it. I think we'll be able to do a lot of clearing a lot faster!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear about your potato experiment! The taste in a fresh home grown potato is amazing, but a pain to go digging and looking for them. How easy it would be to have them contained!!
Good luck on the Brush Hog & the cat shaving!!
Fun Day!
Patti